Going Green: A Guide to Eco-Friendly Dental Care
We all have the power to reduce our plastic footprint with an eco-friendly one so that we can preserve our next generation.
According to the reports in 2019 over 6.1 million tonnes of plastic waste leaked into aquatic environments and 1.7 million tonnes flowed into the oceans. As a result, there is now an estimated 30 million tonnes of plastic waste in seas and oceans.
As a responsible consumer we have to make sure we’re doing our part to protect our planet from this overwhelming scale of plastic pollution. Let’s begin with a new approach by adapting zero waste oral care.
When it comes to the environment and other kinds of non-degradable waste we face problems with no definite answers. It can be fixed by working together a little and not just individually working alone. We can begin with not contributing to landfill and pollution. As a consumer our biggest impact would be to make different choices when we shop, opting for more sustainable products and indicating to brands to buy more eco-friendly products.
Let’s begin with sustainable dentistry or oral care products which blend with eco-friendly implementations, and zero-waste products.
Zero-waste dental care
Toothbrushes and toothpaste are made from fossil-fuel derived materials and are a very common item found in polluting oceans, and killing marine animals. And it is also very difficult to recycle. Electric toothbrushes are worst and harmful when their battery life shell ends and if it has not been properly disposed of it may leak acid and other toxic chemicals. Like toothbrushes there are other products as well such as plastic floss, mouthwash bottles, and many more.
Our main motto to share this article with you was to educate more and more people about Zero-waste oral care products. Let’s talk about different planet-friendly oral care options.
How to create an eco-friendly oral care routine?One of the most consistent parts of the morning routine is oral care which is a pretty good way to begin using Eco-friendly dental products.
1. Switch to Eco-friendly toothbrushes: Did you know that more than 1 billion plastic toothbrushes are discarded every year worldwide which end up polluting landfills or worse filling our oceans. It poses risk to the environment and marine and landfill animals. Switching to biodegradable toothbrushes are the easiest sustainable oral swaps you can make.
Eco-friendly toothbrushes reduce waste, easily break down in landfills. It is also considered as an effective way at brushing rather than your plastic toothbrush.
Bamboo toothbrushes are considered as renewable and sustainable material, it won’t negatively impact on the environment. In plastic toothbrushes chemicals like petroleum are used to make plastic.
Browse our NoWa Bamboo toothbrushes here.
2. Switch to environmentally friendly toothpaste tablets: Toothpaste tablets are small tablets in recyclable packaging or reusable jars. Toothpaste tablets are as effective as toothpaste in a tube. Simply pop one tablet in your mouth, chew until it forms a paste and brush with a wet toothbrush for a couple of minutes.
Toothpaste tablets not just reduce waste but it also offers benefits in terms of portability. If you are travelling you won’t have to carry bulky tubes, nor you have to worry about the mess if the tube caps are not closed.
Nowa Tablets are perfect for everyday use and a healthy approach for your dental health. Browse our Nowa Toothpaste Tablets here.
Our tablets are:
- Tubeless = plastic free
- No animal cruelty
- Made in UK
- Parabeans & Sulphate free
3. Switch to Biodegradable dental floss: Biodegradable dental floss are made up of silk and natural beeswax/plant wax, all of which are biodegradable. Very small portions of dental floss are used while flossing teeth and those small portions of floss end up in landfills along with its plastic cases.
Using floss is a personal choice. Normally people also choose for water-flossing which in fact removes as much as, if not more, plaque from your teeth than using a more conventional method of flossing.
Browse our Nowa Biodegradable dental floss here.
4. Switch to all natural zero-waste mouthwash tablets: Mouthwash often comes in non-recyclable plastic containers which are destined for increase in landfills. Instead of buying mouthwash in plastic containers opt for mouthwash tablets which come in eco-friendly tins or jars. It is easy to purchase and perfect for travelling, if your plastic container's lid is not closed properly it will spill in your bags. It is a better option to buy mouthwash tablets.
Use of mouthwash tablets: Put one tablet in your mouth, chew enough to form later, swish it around and spit it out. You are ready with your radiant smile.
Browse our Nowa Mouthwash Tablets here.
Even a small group of thoughtful people is enough to change the world. One small step leads to bigger changes. And we at Nowa has taken that step to make the world better for not just for our next generation but also for us. Our priority is to provide good healthy eco-friendly dental or zero waste oral care products. We do not compromise in sustainability, performance, and access to affordable products compared to other standard oral care products.